Taking your baby home
The time has come for you to take your new baby home, we have a few tips to help make it an exciting and stress-free experience.
- Feed your new baby just before getting ready to leave the hospital
- Make sure you have that very important car seat
- Clean clothes for the baby – baby grow, socks, hat and blanket
- You also need to be comfortable in the clothes you wear
- When you get home, take your baby for a walk around the house, his new house
- You might be a little nervous handling your baby at home – trust yours self, you will be fine
- Most new babies object to being dressed, find a soft and warm place, keep your hand on his belly for reassurance and relax
- Skin to skin will help with bonding and also calm a baby down – dad can do this too
- Take all the help you can get, spend the first week feeding, eating, sleeping and remember dad needs to bond with his baby too
- Prepare everything before you start bathing your baby, cotton wool, nappy, baby wash, face cloth and towel
- You can bath your baby in the sink or your bath, always check the temperature of the water
- Keep your hand under his neck to support his head at all times
- Trust yourself, you and your baby are going to be just fine!